Friday 23 September 2011

Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka denies he wants to leave Stamford Bridge

Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka feels the club's future is in good hands thanks to the work done by Andre Villas-Boas during the transfer window.


The Portuguese boss brought in Romelu Lukaku, Juan Mata and Oriol Romeu among others during the summer break, breathing new life into the Blues' squad.


The 32-year-old is expected to see his opportunities limited this season, as Chelsea's new breed take over, and the Frenchman feels the club are in good hands.


"It's a good thing for Chelsea to have the young players come in, you still need the quality but it's a good thing," he said.


"Some of us are getting older and it is good to have the new blood. Of course you need some wise players, and we are still here, we are mixing in the same team the old generation and the new generation.


"You can't just put the young generation in and tell them they need to win. You need some older guidance, and this is what we are trying to do on the pitch. Trying to do our best and also help the young lads.


He told the club’s official website: “I am linked everywhere but – when you are linked – it doesn't mean you want to leave.


“I like Chelsea and first of all wanted to stay; that's why I am still here.


“I will see what happens in December and, if I am still here, I will see what happens in June.


“I am happy here, I like the club, everyone here, and, after, I will see what happens. It is not only down to me.


“I have been here almost four years now, and I am pleased with the way it has been. It could have been even better but I am still happy.”


Before settling with Chelsea, Anelka had an expansive career.


He moved to the Gunners in 1997 from Paris Saint-Germain but he only stayed with the north London club for two years before a £22.3 million move to Real Madrid.


After failing to flourish with the Spanish giants, the Frenchman returned to PSG in a transfer deal worth an estimated £20m.


In 2001, he returned to the Premier League with a loan to Liverpool, and in the summer of 2002 signed for Manchester City for £13m, at that point a club record.


Brief stints at Fenerbahce – who he joined in 2005 – and then Bolton followed before a £15m transfer to Chelsea in the January 2008 transfer window.


He has made 344 appearances in the Premier League and scored 123 goals to date for the various clubs he has played under.

No comments: