Thursday 6 October 2011

Kelly Clarkson Fights the Leak, Premieres 'Stronger'

Kelly Clarkson doesn't need a guy to make her feel strong, and on her new track "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)," she lets a former flame know it.




The song is the latest tease for her October 24 album, Stronger. Clarkson tweeted the official version of the song after a leak hit the Internet last week. On the dance track, which is all about the power of loving yourself, Clarkson proudly declares over a fist-pumping beat, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger/ Stand a little taller/ Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone."


"Stronger" fits in nicely with Clarkson's canon of empowerment-themed, kiss-off tunes. And this time around, she's also moving on to a new guy, singing, "You heard that I was starting over with someone/ They told you I was moving on, over you/ You think I'd come/ I'd come back swinging/ You tried to break me/ But you see what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."


A version of the first song leaked over the summer but the official one had yet to be released until now.


To accompany the track, Clarkson wrote on her site: "Hey ya'll - I heard that some versions of "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)" started showing up online. My new album 'Stronger' is out in 3 weeks (Oct 24) and I want you to hear the real thing! Check it out!"


"Stronger" sees the powerhouse back in her comfort zone, specifically when it comes to her confident lyrics ("Think you left me broken down? Think that I'll come running back? / Baby you don't know me, 'cause you're dead wrong"). While electronic elements make a splash on the verses and bridge, the chorus remains classic Clarkson, with the repetitive "Stronger" hook begging to yelled by concertgoers. The track is a sonic departure from first single "Mr. Know It All," and may give an indication of the range of material on "Stronger."


Clarkson's week of release will include two appearances on the "Today" show (Oct. 25 and 27), as well as "The View" and "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon."


What do you think of Kelly's newest track? Tell us in the poll below!

No comments: