Monday 4 June 2012

Public Image Ltd

John Lydon's Public Image Ltd are an the verge of releasing their first album in 20 years.


Post-Sex Pistols, Johnny Rotten became John Lydon and launched a new era as Public Image Ltd in 1978.

After fourteen years of strident post-punk, the band broke up, and then reformed in 2009 to tour. This lead to a new album, and that new album is This Is PiL.

It's their first in 20 years ' twelve tracks recorded in Steve Winwood's UK studio and released on their own PiL Official record label. The band currently consists of Lydon, Bruce Smith on drums, Lu Edmonds on guitars and keys, and Scott Firth on bass.

He continued: "That's probably where my predilection towards amphetamines came from. While you're awake, you're alive! But all the illnesses and pain made me what I am."

Lydon also said that despite his recent collaborations with former Sex Pistols bandmate Glen Matlock, he would never write another Sex Pistols song again.

He said of this: "I can't write for the Pistols. Emotionally, I'd be imitating myself, so respect it for what it was. PiL is expression of freedom, and you can't go backwards once you've done that. Any new ideas go into PiL. My inspiration is everything that the human being gets up to. I don't listen to any music when I'm in PiL-zone, because influences can poison your well."

Last month, Lydon distanced himself from re-release of Sex Pistols' 'God Save The Queen', also on May 28, which coincides with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. In a statement he said that the campaign to push the track to the Number One spot is "not my campaign" and claimed it "totally undermines what the Sex Pistols stood for".

You can watch a video interview from John Lydon's NME recent cover shoot by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking.

No comments: